Thursday, December 26, 2013

reflecting back on the year / 2013

It's almost time for the new year again. My friend and I were up late talking last night about how life seems to become more and more stressful as we get older; a lot of people may say that we're still young and maybe we are, but time is flying by either way. And it's a little scary. Well actually it's really scary with college debts, loans, trying to pay rent, trying to learn to live without your parents, having responsibilities (especially financial responsibilities), finding a job, starting on your career, etc. And it got me thinking, about a lot of things actually, like where I want to be one or two years from now, and whether I'm where I thought I would be when I thought about my life a year or two ago, about how my life is progressing (or well, not progressing), what I actually want to do with my life, etc.

Reflecting back on this year, it wasn't a good year for me. I didn't know what I wanted to do, and I still don't. And that freaked me out, a lot. A lot more than it should have. But I'm finally starting accept that maybe it's okay. Why do I need to have my life all figured out now? Well, maybe I don't. I don't have to figure out my whole life now. I mean I do have my whole life ahead of me after all, right? And isn't life about living anyway? I want to live my life, not plan a life to live.

So what exactly are my plans for 2014? I'm not entirely sure, but instead of freaking out about how I don't have a successful job yet, how I'm not in a traditional four year college like everyone else, or how I'm not at a party every weekend like most people my age, I'm going to do things I want to do and I'm going to accomplish things that are meaningful to me. Life isn't about doing the same things as everyone else, it's about doing what you want to do. And that's what 2014 is all about - doing things that I want to do, living the life I want to live, and being proud of it.

I'm going to work on loving my body instead of wanting to lose weight as an outlet of anger, I'm going to work on being kind to myself every time I want to hate myself over something small, I'm going to work harder on my studies and learn more things on my free time, I'm going to work on getting better and doing more of things like running, hooping, cooking, studying and learning, etc. My plan is focus on the positive for 2014 and build on things that I can actually change and improve on, rather than feeling hopeless about things I don't really have any control over (like not knowing what I want to do with the rest of my life. Eventually, I will figure it out, right? And if I don't, what's the big deal anyway as long as I'm enjoying my life?)

Here's to hope, change, and self acceptance! Cheers!

  • What about you? How was your year this year? Did you accomplish the things you wanted to do?
  • And what are your plans for the new year? Will you be making new years resolutions for 2014?
  • Do you have any tips for a 20 year old who has no clue what's she's doing with her life?
Talk to you soon! Hope you're having a wonderful holiday season!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I've been graduated from college for a couple years now and I still have no idea what it is that I want to do. Cheers to you for being so positive. More people need to have this outlook on life...on focusing on living and loving it -- rather than planning it all out. Plans don't always work out after all. Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @EDEN Thank you! It's definitely not an easy thing for me to do (sometimes I think I actually love worrying) and I'll need to work on it a lot throughout the next year, but I believe it'll also relieve me from lots of stress in the future. Happy new year to you as well! ^_^

    ReplyDelete