Monday, March 3, 2014

failing in order to succeed

This was a concept I didn't really understand while growing up, but I'm starting to understand and accept it. Better late than never right?

My psychology professor talked about how highly successful people understand that they have to fail multiple times in order to succeed, because they learn what works and doesn't work.

So now I'm constantly reminding myself that failure is a part of the progress and I'm inevitably going to be bad at something at first (and probably continue to be bad at said thing), but eventually I'll get better. And so will you.

That's how life works, and I think a lot of people tend to forget that and expect everything to go smoothly the first time around. But things won't go right the first time around, or probably the second or third, but in due time everything will work out and all your hard work will pay off.

So if you're struggling right now, just keep going and don't give up. All the struggles and obstacles you're going through right now will help you succeed in the future; keep going forward, especially when you want to throw in the towel, because that's when it's most important to keep going.

There have been so many times this year where I just wanted to throw in the towel, but instead I choose to go forward and push through, because I always threw in the towel in the past. And that didn't get me anyway, so this year, I'm deciding to do something different. Sure, it's uncomfortable sometimes and it's hard work. But there's been more good than bad so far, so I must be doing something right.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”  ― Albert Einstein

* This post was inspired by Leo's most recent blog post on zenhabits (more specifically the bulletpoint on fear and my personal experience with fear of failing.) Definitely one my favorite blogs; I actually check my e-mail when I get a notification, which is not something that happens very often.

What's your favorite blog? What have you been reading lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment