Friday, January 17, 2014

a day of homemade goodies

And by goodies, I mean food. Because a good chunk of my life goes toward food and eating.

This morning, I actually woke up at 9 am today (throws confetti). It's one of my new year resolutions/goals to wake up earlier, and I've been having trouble with it recently because one of my other resolutions to go to sleep earlier and whenever I tell myself to do that, I actually end up going to sleep later. Anyway, after I woke up, I made myself a delicious green smoothie.
 

After, I went to the grocery store to buy some vegetables and sweet potatoes to cook for lunch.  And while I was browsing through the fresh produce section, I came upon amaranth leaves so I had to try them because I recently learned about amaranth (the grain) which I haven't tried yet. My dad helped me make lunch today and it was nice because we managed to get lunch on the table within an hour; I was rushing a bit because I had an appointment but I cancelled it due to lack of time. I wish I had taken a picture of the food with my camera because the colors looked really nice, but I did manage to take a picture with my phone. The food was surprisingly good! I wanted to make yam salad, but I accidently baked it instead of boiling it in water. Maybe next time!

After that, my friend came over and we "baked" cheesecake and oreo truffles dipped in the chocolate ("baked" since we didn't use an oven). The cheesecake turned out surprisingly decent despite not using vanilla extract and substituting sweetened condensed  milk.

 Oh yeah, and we also made oreo truffles! We should grind them instead next time; we crushed them, the photos would turn out way nicer if the oreos would grounded. (Confession: I'm always thinking it terms of how the pictures would look instead of how the food tastes.) But they turned out really good! I don't have a sweet tooth, so about one or two just about hits the spot for me.
 

I have work this weekend, but I'm planning to spend more time in the kitchen after I come home from work (and also hopefully spend more time on my studies!) Also, classes start again next week so I have to get as much cooking done as I can so I know what to meal plan (what I like, what I don't like, what works, what doesn't, etc.)
  • How has your week been?
  • Have you been cooking or baking anything new lately?
  • How is January treating you so far?

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks delicious, especially those truffles.I haven't had a green smoothie in too long. I think next time I'm at the store I'll pick up some bananas and spinach.

    I haven't been making anything new, but I'm gonna be making some rice krispie treats soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @northbounder
    I can never figure out how to reply to a comment, so I have to comment to the post instead.

    The truffles were my friend's idea! So glad we made them because they turned out great. I wish it was berry season, because they are excellent for smoothies (or for anything really).
    And yum! Rice krispies are a childhood favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those oreo truffles look simply devine!! My mouth is watering and I am at work (how embarrassing haha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A day in the kitchen is such a great day! And ground Oreos or not, I'm sure the truffles were delicious!

    ReplyDelete